MONASTERO DELL’ASSUNTA INCORONATA
(Diocèse de Perugia)
06019 Umbertide (PG)
+39/075 941 35 48
The holy mountain of Monte Corona, at the heart of the Umbrian hills, 30 kilometers from Assisi, bears the marks of a very ancient eremetical presence. Between 990 and 992, Saint Romuald erected a modest hermitage at the foot of the mountain. In 1530, an enormous monastery was built on top of the mountain surrounded by a wall of enclosure, hence the name of Corona. The Camaldolese monks lived here until 1861, when they were driven out by the laws that confiscated all ecclesiastic goods.
Fallen into ruin for more than one century, this monastery, a place of holiness — two blessed lived there — was given new life in 1981 when, by the ways of Providence, our monastic Family was established here. It is not far from Rome. First a community of monastic sisters began the work of raising up a monastery from the ruins. Then, in 1990, a community of monks took on the responsibility of reconstruction. After an earthquake in 1997, the State provided aid, and so the restoration of this eminent place consecrated to solitary and fraternal prayer continues.